Monday, August 23, 2010

What does Lusophone music mean to you? How do you feel it? - by Mike Stead, Author

Thanks for the invitation to write a few words for your site. I’m not sure that I could say anything eloquent about my rather eclectic and very dated taste in Lusophone music. My first exposure was to MPB in Brasil in the 80's, such as Cazuza, Legião Urbana, Renato Russo, Netinho, Titãs, Paralamas do Sucesso, Só para contrariar, Engenheiros de Havai, Milton Nascimento, Ney Matogrosso, Djavan, Elba Ramalho , Lulo Santos, Marisa Monte, Daniela Mercury, Caetano and Maria Bethânia. I still listen fondly to this stuff. I’m afraid things went downhill when I went to Portugal in the 90s and listened to boy bands such as Excesso, Anjos, and GNR with a bit of Mariza thrown in. Finally, my Angolan tastes are limited to the rather predictable Bonga, Waldemar Bastos and Ruy Mingas.

About Mike Stead:

Mike Stead is the co-author of the Bradt Guide to Angola. He's spent much of the last 30 years living and working overseas thanks to postings with the Diplomatic Service. He spent a year in Luanda as the Deputy Head of Mission and Consul at the British Embassy where he set about writing this guide with Sean Rorison. He wrote the background and practilaties chapters, the appendices and the sections on Luanda, Bengo, Kwanza Sul, Kwanza Norte, Malanje, Huíla, Benguela and Namibe, and co-wrote the sections on Lunda Norte and Lunda Sul with Sean. Mike's a fan of this site and enjoys a well made caipirinha! You can visit his blog here and read relevant updates to his guidebook.

1 comment:

Becca said...

a bringing together of two of my favorite reminders of Angola.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...