Friday, May 7, 2010

Frei Fado D'el Rei

Frei Fado D'el Rei
They’re from Porto, Portugal’s second city, and their sound is like a waft of centuries past. It’s a blend of medieval rhythms with popular Portuguese music, interspersed with a colorful acoustic guitar strumming out flamenco rhythms. What strikes me about this sound is how much its rooted in Portugal’s musical past and how melodic it is. Classical Portuguese folk music. The group have been around for years, as they were founded in 1990. Naturally, Frei Fado D'el Rei reminds me a bit of Madredeus, and it might be a bit unfair to compare the two. But nonetheless I still wonder how they’re nowhere near as well known, even by their fellow Portuguese in Lisbon, Philip Graham tells me. And their lead singer is a lovely songstress named Carla Lopes, who boasts a beautiful singing voice that complements the excellent instrumentals.

The three songs posted here are from the album Frei Fado D'El Rei Em Concerto. Viagem do Verso, De Amor e Saudade, and Perdido ao Acaso. Frei Fado have a newer album out in stores right now called Senhor Poeta, a tribute to Portuguese poet José Afonso. I haven’t yet had a chance to listen to it, as I only learned of this group’s existence today. I have to say though, I am glad I did. Viagem do Verso is the standout track; click play on it below.

Viagem do Verso
De Amor e Saudade
Perdido ao Acaso

São do Porto, cidade fantástica. E a sua música respire ares de tempos longíquos. É uma mistura de sons mediévais com música popular portuguesa, colorida por uma alegre guitarra acústica que gosta de cantar flamenco. O que mais me agrada nestas músicas é quão melódicas são e como estão ligadas ao passado sonoro de Portugal. Os Frei Fado D’el Rei são um grupo há duas décadas, tendo sido formados em `1990. Naturalmente, é fácil comparer-los aos Madredeus. Talvez não justo, mas definitivamente fácil. Mas mesmo assim, é díficil perceber como a linda voz da vocalist deste grupo, a Carla Lopes, não é mais conhecida pelo mundo lusófono. Segundo o Philip Graham, que me sugeriu esta banda, nem mesmo muitos lisboetas os conhecem. E até hoje, nem eu!

As três musicas postadas aqui são do seu album Frei Fado D’el Rei Em Concerto. Viagem do Verso, De Amor e Saudade, e Perdido ao Acaso são os seus nomes. Os Frei Fado têm outro alum recentemente lançado, de nome Senhor Poeta, que é um tributo ao poeta português José Afonso. Ainda não tive a chance de o ouvir, mas quando isto acontecer, com certeza que irão ler sobre o evento neste espaço. Por agora, fiquem com Viagem do Verso, a melhor música das três.

-Photo by dublju

Frei Fado on Myspace
Senhor Poeta on Amazon

1 comment:

kiangaik said...

Hi, Lusotunes,
Thanks for your sharing.
I like Portugues Music so much, especially Fado,
I am Malaysian Chinese, Madredeus is the first band in Portuguese that i knew.
I hope i can be your friend.
this is my e-mail: snowbird_t@hotmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...